Foster County Emergency Management

Hazardous Materials in the Home

Advertisements

Now that the kids are out of school, and spending more time at home, consider taking a look under your sink/in closets/garage, wherever you keep your cleaning chemicals. Most cleaning agents are not safe for children to be around but come in fun colors. Window cleaner, dish soap, laundry detergent pods, Comet (remember the revised jingle with this one?)

Did you know that some chemicals cannot be mixed or even stored together? Ammonia + bleach = potential lethal fumes; actually, bleach mixed with other cleaning agents is just not a good idea. Antifreeze comes in a lot of neat colors but is toxic to humans as well as animals. Drain cleaners can lead to chemical burns or toxic fumes, mothballs (does anyone still use these?), and believe it or not, windsheild washer fluid – which is toxic to drink or get on skin as it can be absorbed through contact with skin. Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with cleaners with Sulfuric Acid in them can result in an explosion.

So, now we know what could happen if kids or pets get into the cleaners, how can we prevent either from playing with them or attempting to drink them? Here are some tips:

Kids and pets get into everything and it isn’t always possible to see what they are getting into at all times. By taking precautions, you reduce the likelihood of an accidental poisoning.  Stay safe and enjoy the summer!

Advertisements

Advertisements